Ingredients and Method
Using chilli salt is a wonderful way to give your dishes a little extra kick. The delicious recipe below from Healthy GF Asian is for delicious Cantonese salt and pepper chicken and uses our Szechuan pepper salt for seasoning and some heat. Enjoy!
Rice bran oil for pan frying
1.5kg (3.3Ib) skinless and boneless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
Steamed rice to serve
For The Marinade:
½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
2 tablespoons pale or medium dry sherry
2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
1 teaspoon ground paprika
For The Flour mixture:
1½ cup rice flour
2 tablespoons potato starch
½ teaspoon salt
For the garlic oil:
3 tablespoons rice bran oil
5 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 large fresh red chillies finely chopped
2 spring onion (shallots), finely sliced
For the Garnish:
- Heat up a small pot with the rice bran oil, pan fry the garlic on low heat until lightly golden, then add in the chillies and spring onion (shallots) and briefly stir-fry for another 1 minute. Turn off the heat and set aside in a small bowl.
- Marinate the chicken pieces with the marinade prepared, rub and mix well into the chicken pieces. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture into a large mixing bowl, whisk and mix well. Lightly coat the chicken pieces with the flour mixture using a kitchen tong, shake off excess.
- Heat up a frying pan with 2 inches of rice bran oil, and pan fry the chicken pieces for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Pan fry the chicken pieces in 3 batches. Drain on kitchen paper towel before placing on a serving plate.
- To serve, drizzle with the garlic oil and garnish with some Szechuan Pepper Salt (The Salt Box.).
- Serve with steamed rice.