Ingredients and Method
Salt and watermelon? Yes please! Adding salt to fruit concentrates the sweetness (without the calories). And did you know that if you add salt to underripe fruit and it will reduce the fruit's bitterness? We tell you, salt is CLEVER.
This recipe combines the our Cyprus Black Lava salt with a famous Cypriot cheese, haloumi. Together you get a range of flavours - salty, sweet, sour. It doesn't get much better than that ...
- Slice the watermelon thinly and remove the skin. Cut into desired shape/s.
- Slice the haloumi and trim to the same dimensions as the watermelon.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan then fry the haloumi on both sides until golden. Drain on paper towel.
- Serve it while the haloumi is still warm as it can turn rubbery when cold. To serve, build up layers - 1 slice of cooked haloumi, topped with 1 piece of watermelon and sprinkled with Cyprus Black Lava salt, then repeat.
- Drizzle the plate with a little olive oil and serve your stacks with wedges garnished with baby herbs and wedges of lemon on the side.