Ingredients and Method
This recipe was created especially for The Salt Box.
Truffle and pork - they are meant for each other. The original truffle hunters were the pigs. They have now been replaced with truffle dogs, as the dogs don't seem to eat as many truffles once they find them!
This great little snack takes some effort, but it's worth the reward. Make a lot as they tend to disappear quickly!
- Remove most of the fat from the pork skin. cut into 4 to 5cm square pieces.
- Place in a pot of salted boiling water (use plain cooking salt or kosher salt).
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until the skin is soft and rubbery.
- Remove and pat skin dry with paper towel.
- Heat oven to 140C. Place the skin on an oven tray and dry in the oven for approx. 1 hour. The dryer the better, to help the skins puff right up in the oil in the next step.
- Bring a large pot of oil to 180C (remember to use caution with hot oil). Deep fry the pork skin pieces, about 6 at a time, until golden and puffed.
- Drain pieces on paper towel then sprinkle generously with Black Truffle Salt.
- Serve with a cold beer.