Ingredients and Method
This recipe was created especially for The Salt Box.
This is a great rub recipe that is suitable for most meats. Here it's used on slow cooked pork, but feel free to adapt it and use on smaller cuts of meat - great on a hot BBQ grill.
INGREDIENTS for the Smoked BBQ Rub
- Use the rub from above to smother the pork. Leave it to rest for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables by cutting into rough 2cm dice. Place the vegetables in a slow cooker (crock pot) and add water. Place the pork on top of the vegetables, put the lid on and set the slow cooker on low. Let cook for 8 hours.
- When cooked, remove the pork to a large oven tray. Drizzle with a little olive oil and roast in a moderate oven for 30-40 minutes. This will create some crispy bits.
- When ready, take 2 forks and shred the pork into long strands - this is the art of 'pulling'. Pull the meat to any desired size and reserve.
- Strain the liquid from the crockpot vegetables into a small saucepan. Reduce over a medium heat until a thick sauce has been achieved. Mix a little of the sauce through the pulled pork to keep it moist.
- Taste the meat and, if needed, season with a little more Yakima Applewood Smoked Sea Salt for a truly smoky flavour.
Serve the pulled pork alongside some fresh small rolls and a bowl of fennel and apple slaw.
Best enjoyed with an apple cider.